Tuesday 31 January 2006

Excuse me, while I kiss this guy

Misheard song lyrics can be hilarious, don’t you think.

Can you guess the songs/artists of each of these?

- There goes my hero, he’s old and hairy
- Here we are now, in containers
- She don’t like Great Canada Beaver (another version is "she don’t like my refrigerator")
- You need Kool-Aid, well maybe I made Kool-Aid


So, what’s your most embarrassing misheard lyric. I’m a big Frank Zappa fan, and recently was quizzed by someone about my FZ knowledge. I think the question was “Billy was a mountain, what was Ethel?”. I immediately panicked, because I didn’t want to show my ignorance, especially for such a seminal Zappa song, however the first thing that came to mind was “Ethel was a tree hanging off of his shoulder”, but thought that sounded ridiculous so pretended I’d forgotten..... I looked it up this morning, and that actually is the correct lyric. I should have known, goddamnit.

I’m not sure what’s worse – that this person now thinks I’m ignorant and don’t really know Zappa at all, or that I could have offered such a stupid line and it be wrong. Actually, now that I think of it, neither is that earth-shatteringly bad...

No comments: